Texas Oversize Permits
TEXAS OVERSIZE PERMITS INFORMATION
Permits: Texas oversize permits are valid for three to five days. Must have permit prior to entering state.
Operating Time: One-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour after sunset, including Saturday and Sunday. Loads not exceeding 10′ wide, legal height (14′) or 100′ long with legal front and rear overhang may travel at night on Interstate system only. Overweight only may have continuous movement.
Restricted Travel: City/county curfew times are now listed on the permit. Travel is allowed on major holidays depending on dimensions.
Length: 59′ semi-trailer
- 2′ front
- 4′ rear
Weight: 80,000 Gross
- Single – 20,000
- Tandem – 34,000
- Tridem – 42,000
Routine Permit Limits
- 16′ on Interstate System
- Single – 25,000
- Tandem – 46,000
- Tridem – 60,000
- Quad – 70,000
Loads exceeding these dimensions are Super Loads. The state will propose a route which we are then required to survey physically and sign off on. Over 254,000 pounds, or over 200,000 pounds with less than 95 feet of axle spacings are Super Heavy Loads which require several weeks to approve.
- Over 110′ – 1 escort
- Over 125′ – 2 escorts
- Over 20′ – 1 escort
- Over 30′ – 2 escorts (needs special approval)
- Over 14′ – 1 escort
- Over 16′ – 2 escorts
- Over 17′ – 1 escort
- Over 18’ – 2 escorts
Note: If the load is over two dimensions that require escort, then 2 escorts will be required.
MISCELLANEOUS: A flatbed load cannot be permitted for width and height at the same time.
SIGNS, FLAGS & LIGHTS: Signs are only required on escort vehicles. Red flags should be placed at all extremities.
Permit Ordering Tips:
- If you have a computer, temporary restrictions for many states can be accessed via the Safe Travel USA website (www.safetravelusa.com)
- When you get the load on, measure it to confirm dimensions.
- Make sure your weights are legal, or accurate if overweight.
- Some states require a clear load description ("machinery” does not work), load make, model and serial number if applicable.
- Always check your permits for accuracy when you receive them.